The Tavis Smiley Foundation Smiley Scholars Program seeks to identify students who will make a significant contribution to their community. As part of its commitment to education and youth, the Tavis Smiley Foundation has provided scholarship awards to high school and college students who have participated in its signature programs since 2001. To date, the foundation has awarded thousands in scholarships to 74 students. Recipients have attended a range of universities and colleges, including Yale, Xavier, Howard and Bowie State universities and Morehouse College.
WHAT ARE THE SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS?
Smiley Scholars awards 10 scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $4,000 each year. The competition opens in June of each calendar year. Applications must be postmarked by August 31, 2007. Winners will be announced at the annual Tavis Smiley Foundation’s “Salute to Youth Leadership Dinner Gala” held annually in October.
- Applicants must be United States citizens and enrolled in an accredited college or university in the United States.
- Applicants must have participated in any one of the following foundation programs: the Youth to Leaders conference series, the 2003 Youth to Leaders National Summit, the Tavis Smiley Foundation Leadership Institute, Youth 2 Leaders Ventures or the Talented Tenth High School Tour.*
- Be a high school senior; 12th grade or freshman in college in the fall of the grant year.
- Applicants must be full-time students.
- Applicants must have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 (C+) on a 4.0 system.
- Applications will be judged on the following criteria: academic achievement, evidence of leadership and community service; and participation in Tavis Smiley Foundation programs.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Applications are available on the Tavis Smiley Foundation website at www.youthtoleaders.org. Students should download the application and submit in one envelope the following information:
- Completed Application Form (Click on the icon picture above to download the application)
- Personal Essay
- Copy of Official High School Transcript
- Two Letters of Recommendation: A personal reference and an academic or community involvement reference.
- Copy of College Letter of Acceptance* (Scholarship winners will be required to submit proof of full-time college enrollment before awards are disbursed.)
- A Recent Photo
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION DEADLINE?
The application deadline is August 31, 2007. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted. The Tavis Smiley Foundation is not responsible for lost or stolen mail. No faxed or emailed applications will be accepted. Applications missing any of these materials will not be considered. Letters of recommendation that arrive separately will not be accepted.
SEND APPLICATIONS POSTMARKED BY AUGUST 31, 2007 TO:
Tavis Smiley Foundation
3870 Crenshaw Blvd.
Suite 391 PMB
Los Angeles, CA 90008
WHAT IF I STILL HAVE A QUESTION?
For questions, call 323-290-1888 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Smiley Scholars in the subject line.
more info click here