SALEF’s mission is to advocate for the educational advancement, civic participation, leadership and economic prosperity of Salvadoran and other Latino communities in the U.S.; and to advance democracy and social justice in the U.S. and El Salvador.
- Applicants must demonstrate a history of community involvement.
- Applicants must be of Central American or other Latino ethnicity.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need.
- Applicants must possess a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Applicants must be either:
- graduating High School seniors,
- current undergraduate, graduate and professional students or
- community college students*
- must be AB540
- Applicants must reside and study in California or Washington D.C.
- Applicants must be willing to give back to the community by becoming a mentor to a high school student, be part of SALEF alumni or completing the equivalent in community service hours.
Scholarship is open to all qualifying students regardless of immigration status.
SALEF promotes giving back to out communities, thus scholarship recipients are expected to complete community service hours and receipt of the scholarship award is dependent on completion of their pledge.
APPLICATION GUIDELINES: Please read the following before submitting your application.
- Send all supplementary documents with your completed application postmarked by JUNE 30, 2007
- Applications postmarked after the deadline will not be accepted.
- Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications missing any of the required documents are considered incomplete, unless SALEF’s program manager has granted prior approval.
- Finalists will be notified of interviews via email and telephone during August 2007 and must attend.
- Selected recipients will be notified in September 2007
- Once selected, Scholarship recipients must attend SALEF annual banquet.
- PLEASE NOTE: Only selected recipients will be notified
Please mail or deliver complete application package to:
Salvadoran American Leadership and Educational Fund (SALEF)
“Fulfilling Our Dreams” Scholarship Fund
ATTN: Scholarship Fund Coordinator
1625 W. Olympic Blvd., Suite 718 ~ Los Angeles, CA 90015